Who We Are:
SmithRx is a rapidly growing, venture-backed Health-Tech company. Our mission is to disrupt the expensive and inefficient Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) sector by building a next-generation drug acquisition platform driven by cutting edge technology, innovative cost saving tools, and best-in-class customer service. With hundreds of thousands of members onboarded since 2016, SmithRx has a solution that is resonating with clients all across the country.
We pride ourselves for our mission-driven and collaborative culture that inspires our employees to do their best work. We believe that the U.S healthcare system is in need of transformation, and we come to work each day dedicated to making that change a reality. At our core, we are guided by our company values:
- Integrity: Do the right thing. Especially when it’s hard.
- Courage: Embrace the challenge.
- Together: Build bridges and lift up your colleagues.
We are looking for a Counsel, Commercial who will be responsible for drafting, negotiating, and closing commercial agreements to help drive our business forward in innovative ways while managing risk. You will partner with our Sales team, Revenue team, and Deal Desk function to ensure that all deals are closed with speed, ease, and accuracy while you create continuous improvements and efficiencies to the contracting process. You will partner with our Clinical Strategy team to develop innovative pathways to reduce drug costs and capture them in commercial agreements. You will handle legal issues in creative, business-centric ways. Top candidates will have a mix of law firm and in-house experience. You will report directly to the Vice President of Legal.
The successful candidate will evidence a passion for impacting the U.S. healthcare ecosystem and is excited for the challenge of helping build the legal function at a high-growth healthcare technology company.
In this role, you will:
- Structure, draft, negotiate, and review a broad range of commercial agreements in the healthcare space (i.e., pharmacy agreements, pharmacy benefit management services agreements, and other commercial transactional agreements)
- Collaborate with, and provide strategic and legal advice to, various cross-functional teams, including the Sales, Revenue, and Clinical Strategy teams
- Shepherd deals through the sales cycle and internal approval processes while partnering with the appropriate cross-functional teams
- Act as a client-facing subject matter expert on contract-related matters
- Develop and implement innovative ways to scale commercial legal processes and increase the effectiveness of the Deal Desk function to keep pace with the company’s growth
- Resolve issues that arise in existing commercial relationships
- Collaborate with and supervise outside corporate counsel and outside healthcare counsel
- Effectively prioritize and manage additional ad-hoc requests and responsibilities across a spectrum of complex business, legal, and strategic issues
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar
- Admitted to California bar, or admitted/eligible to qualify as a California Registered In-House Counsel
- At least six years of experience as a practicing attorney at a law firm and/or in-house
- Relevant experience and strong foundation in structuring, drafting, and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including B2B services agreements
- Strong written and oral communication skills to effectively collaborate and negotiate with internal stakeholders and external counterparties
- Highly analytical and solutions-focused with sound business judgment
- Quick learner who can adapt to a fast-paced, high-growth environment and can navigate complex cross-functional situations
- Works well under pressure, with regular prioritization and timely and transparent communication
- Comfortable operating with a high degree of autonomy
- Has an interest and passion for improving access to convenient and affordable healthcare
- At least two years of experience at a top-tier, international law firm
- In-house counsel experience
- Experience in the healthcare space and familiarity with healthcare laws/regulations; (experience with pharmacy benefits is a strong plus)
- Located in Bay Area preferred